Stuffed with creamy mayonnaise and cheddar cheese combination layered in between thick sliced of summer time tomatoes makes this The Greatest Tomato Pie. There’s no higher option to shut out summer time than making this scrumptious southern recipe.
Tomato season is underway and making a dinner that’s contemporary with tomatoes is on the prime of the listing. Do this sausage tomato gnocchi, creamy tomato basil hen or creamy tomato Italian parmesan hen for extra tomato recipes.
The Greatest Tomato Pie
Rising up in Alabama, Tomato Pie was a summer time staple and one we loved typically. It’s Aimee right here from the positioning Aimee Mars and southern recipes are my specialty. The fundamental components on this easy and scrumptious recipe are primarily the identical for all, however there are a number of alternative ways to arrange it. One that is for sure although, each finish of summer time ought to embody this scrumptious recipe.
Components in Tomato Pie
This savory pie is manufactured from just some primary components, most of which you most likely have readily available. The secret’s selecting tremendous agency tomatoes, whether or not they come from your individual backyard, farmers market, or your native grocery retailer. Use your fingertips to softly squeeze the tomatoes to check their firmness.
- 9-inch pie shell: you should use a store-bought pie shell in the event you’re trying to make this recipe shortly or you can also make a scrumptious certainly one of your individual like this buttermilk pie crust.
- 6 Tomatoes, giant and really ripe: the firmer the tomatoes the higher. If the tomatoes are too tender they’ll have manner an excessive amount of moisture, which is able to make your pie soggy.
- Salt: that is only a primary salt for coating the tomatoes earlier than including them to the recipe, it helps to empty any further water.
- Contemporary Basil: basil and tomato have been meant to go collectively and placing this contemporary ingredient in tomato pie aren’t any totally different. I extremely suggest utilizing contemporary basil if you could find it.
- Freshly Shredded Cheddar Cheese: you should use already shredded cheddar cheese for this recipe, however shredded your individual makes it barely softer and so it melts completely collectively into the pie.
- Mayonnaise: this key ingredient barely holds this pie collectively and provides some scrumptious taste.
- Seasoning: salt, pepper, and garlic powder and the principle spices for this recipe, nonetheless, you’ll be able to simply add in some extra equivalent to paprika and chili powder in the event you like a spicier model.
The best way to Make Tomato Pie
- Put together the Tomatoes: slice the tomatoes about 1/4-inch in thickness and lay them flat in a single layer on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Cowl the tomatoes in salt after which a prime layer of paper towels and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Combine the Base: In a big bowl mix the shredded cheese, mayonnaise, contemporary basil, and seasoning till absolutely mixed.
- Organize: place your required pie shell right into a pie dish and start to rearrange the pie by layering a single layer of tomatoes on the underside. Then unfold half of the cheese combination on prime of the tomatoes. Place one other layer of tomatoes, overlapping some, on prime, and repeat with the remaining cheese combination. End layering the pie with some tomatoes on prime. Firmly press the tomatoes in so the combination comes collectively. Sprinkle some further basil on prime if desired.
- Bake: Place the pie in a pre-heated oven at 350º F and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, till the cheese turns into bubbly.
Which Tomatoes are Greatest for Tomato Pie?
The usual beefsteak or plum tomatoes work greatest for tomato pie as a result of they’re not as juicy as tomatoes equivalent to heirloom. Ensure that to decide on tomatoes which are agency to the touch and never tender. When you actually wish to use heirloom tomatoes you then completely can, simply additionally ensure they’re tremendous agency. When you select tomatoes which are too tender will probably be onerous to take away the water content material and your pie will prove soggy.
Can I exploit a Retailer-Purchased Pie Crust?
Sure! When you’re brief on time or simply don’t wish to problem with making a crust then a store-bought crust will work simply as nicely. There may be one trick I at all times like to make use of although, and that’s to double up the crust. Buy a dough that comes with two shells and layer one proper on prime of the opposite in your pie dish. This makes for an additional thick crust.
What to Serve with Tomato Pie:
This pie is surprisingly filling, and because it’s a summer time recipe it pairs completely with essentially the most conventional facet dishes. A few of my favorites are listed under.
The Greatest Tomato Pie
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook dinner Time 45 minutes
Complete Time 1 hour 5 minutes
Servings 10 Servings
Stuffed with creamy mayonnaise and cheddar cheese combination layered in between thick sliced of summer time tomatoes makes this The Greatest Tomato Pie. There is no higher option to shut out summer time than making this scrumptious southern recipe.
- 1 9-inch Pie Shell
- 6 giant Tomatoes very ripe
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 8 ounces Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Contemporary Basil chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Floor Black Pepper
Preheat the oven to 350ºF and if making put together the pie dough.
Put together the Tomatoes:
Slice the tomatoes to about 1/4-inch in thickness and organize them in a single layer on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Coat the tomatoes in salt and canopy once more with one other layer of paper towels. Let sit for 10 minutes.
Make the Filling:
In a medium bowl mix the shredded cheese, mayonnaise, contemporary basil, and spices collectively till combined nicely. Put aside.
Organize the Pie:
Place the 9-inch pie shell into your pie dish and organize a single layer of sliced tomatoes on the underside. Cowl the tomatoes with half of the cheese combination and repeat this step.
Layer the final of the tomato slices on prime, overlapping is okay, and firmly press them into the pie. This helps the components come collectively.
Place the pie into the oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, till the cheese begins to bubble and the crust turns a golden brown.
The Greatest Tomato Pie
Quantity Per Serving (1 slice)
Energy 279 Energy from Fats 189
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 8g40%
Ldl cholesterol 29mg10%
Vitamin A 1176IU24%
Vitamin C 15mg18%
* P.c Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.