Think about… You undergo a journey agent to e-book your self a little bit getaway. You talk about what you’d love to do, and the place you’d wish to go, and take out journey insurance coverage. Someday throughout your trip- that you simply occur to be actually enjoying- you discover out your journey agent didn’t organise your journey insurance coverage, as promised. You are feeling indignant and let down; your agent has probably put you vulnerable to hurt, and what you negotiated earlier than embarking in your journey hasn’t been honoured. The journey agent doesn’t perceive why you’re upset; you’re having enjoyable, proper? They are saying, “It’s a very protected place; you don’t have anything to fret about”.
What would you assume if this occurred to you? Or somebody that you simply cared about? How do you assume that you’d really feel?
‘Stealthing’ is a newly ‘coined’ time period for a non-consensual sexual apply that has been round for much longer. It entails the non-consensual elimination of a condom throughout in any other case consensual sexual contact, or a deliberate failure to make use of a condom, with out the notice of 1’s sexual associate, regardless of an settlement to make use of a condom being made. With out trivialising the seriousness of ‘stealthing’, the journey situation above is a metaphor for the way disrespectful and dangerous the dishonouring of an settlement, made in good religion, could be.
‘Stealthing’ carries critical well being and wellbeing dangers, together with the transmission of STIs and unplanned being pregnant, and likewise brings with it a considerable psychological and emotional toll for many who have been ‘stealthed’. This would come with a lack of autonomy over their very own our bodies, damaged belief and betrayal, and vulnerability.
That mentioned, can ‘stealthing’ be classed as sexual assault?
While there’s nothing within the Crimes Act that explicitly courses ‘stealthing’ as an offence, if the phrases of a consensual sexual act included condom use, that consent is void if these phrases aren’t revered. Identical to nobody can pressure you to do sure acts throughout intercourse, you’ve got the suitable to guard your physique by solely consenting to intercourse with a condom. The place there is no such thing as a consent, or the place the phrases of consent offered has been violated, there’s sexual assault. Whereas not but examined in Australian courts, there are ‘stealthing’ instances at present awaiting prosecution. It’s simply not value it- honour the consent because it’s given to you, and respect your associate’s physique, and desires. To take action can be honouring of your self.
Pondering of ‘stealthing’?
- Chances are you’ll be charged with a legal offence
- Chances are you’ll be placing your bodily and emotional well being in danger
- It’s a disrespectful and probably dangerous behaviour that doesn’t honour the consent given to you by your associate
- Suppose again- how is it a recreation, or humorous, or no matter, to wish to trigger hurt to a different individual?
Have you ever skilled ‘stealthing’?
- You may report back to the police. Proof is finest collected inside 72 hours of the incident, however you possibly can at all times report sexual assault that occurred to you beforehand, even when it was a very long time in the past
- See your GP or native sexual well being centre for a check-up, together with screening for STIs and being pregnant
- For those who consider the individual is HIV constructive, fast HIV testing and retroviral medicine (PEP) is offered, and prevents an infection if administered quickly after publicity. Go to https://www.getpep.info/get-pep-now/ for extra assist
- Contact Gippsland CASA on (03) 5134 3922 for help or referral; or, go to casa.org.au/contact-us/find-your-nearest-casa/ to discover a service native to you